For small town living along the Patuxent River and Chesapeake Bay in Southern Maryland, the town of California offers a pleasant home base, with plentiful nature and historical sites and multiple stops on the Patuxent Wine Trail located nearby.
History buffs will love the wealth of American and Civil War-era sites, which include Maryland’s first capital, Historic St. Mary’s City, and the Historic Village of Port Tobacco, once the state’s second-largest seaport. The infamous escape route of John Wilkes Booth was also traced through this area.
Aviation enthusiasts will delight in the artifacts and old, Naval aircraft on display at the Patuxent River Naval Air Museum, and for marine lovers, there are summertime riverboat cruises departing daily from the Calvert Marine Museum, which offers rare, hands-on experiences, as well as popular river otter and shark-themed exhibits.
All this, in addition to convenient shopping, dining, and recreational options make California a convenient and delightfully senior-friendly locale in the heart of Southern Maryland.
Senior-Friendly Area Attractions near California, MD Include:
Arts & Entertainment
- Patuxent River Naval Air Museum (6.4 miles)
- Calvert Marine Museum (6.8 miles)
- Myrtle Point Park (5.0 miles)
- Mary’s River State Park (6.2 miles)
- Calvert Cliffs State Park/Calvert Beach (11.6 miles)
- Wildewood Shopping Center (2.2 miles)
- Harris Teeter (2.7 miles)
- Target – Lexington Park (3.4 miles)
- Walmart Supercenter (4.0 miles)
- CVS Pharmacy (6.0 miles)
Medical Needs & Public Transit
- Philip J. Bean Medical Center (3.7 miles)
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport – DCA (62.0 miles)
- Mary’s Transit System (STS)