Whether you are looking to visit or retire in Calvert County, MD, there are many things you would definitely love about this beautiful county. The county is located within Maryland State and it is the seat of Prince Frederick County. Calvert County got its name from the family name of the Barons of Baltimore, who were the proprietors of Maryland’s English Colony. Here are some things to do in Calvert County, MD that you would definitely fall in love with.
- Brownies Beach – Located towards the northern region of Chesapeake Beach, Brownies Beach features a big water park and only opens to Chesapeake City residents.
- Chesapeake Beach – Features various fun attractions such as charter boat fishing, marinas, piers, and a water park.
- North Beach Boardwalk/Beach – Enjoy the sun and the Chesapeake Bay at the sandy North Beach Boardwalk/Beach.
Historic and Cultural Sites
- African American Heritage House – Learn about the life, history, and contributions of well-known African Americans from the county of Charles and the nation.
- Annmarie Sculpture Garden & Arts Center – This award-winning Arts Building features a gift shop, rotating exhibition space, and a sunny patio.
- Bayside History Museum – The museum is a must-visit if you wish to learn more about the history of North Beach and Chesapeake Beach through a series of exhibits.
- Solomons Island Fishing Pier – A beautiful waterfront area with 700’ of fishable linear feet over the water. You can get bait and tackle right on site.
- North Beach Pier – There is a beautiful upper deck on the pier where you can enjoy the beautiful scenery. For fishing, you can walk out further on the lower deck.
- Lower Marlboro Pier – The pier is open to the public for those who wish to fish and enjoy the view of the Patuxent River. No facilities are available here but there are parking spaces.
Parks and Trails
- Calvert Cliffs State Park – This day-use park features unique fossils, a sandy beach, fishing, an accessible recycled tire playground, a tidal and freshwater marshland, and 13 miles of hiking trails.
- Biscoe Gray Heritage Park – This park is rich in natural and cultural resources. There are natural surface trails where you can hike on foot or horseback. Explore mature forests and fallow fields, enjoying scenic views.
- American Chestnut Land Trust Prince Frederick Trailhead – You can explore the land, care for the land, and farm the land. Plan your guided canoe trips, explore the wildlife and donate earth-friendly produce to food pantries.
- Calvert Health Farmers’ Market – Enjoy seasonal, fresh, locally grown produce, flowers, baked goods, bee and honey products, and other value-added products. It is a family-owned and operated farm.
- North Beach Farmers’ Market – Get your farm vegetales, plants, meats, baked goods, eggs, cheeses, and other fresh goods from local vendors at this farmers’ market.
Trott’s Fresh Farm Produce – Purchase fresh, locally-grown, organic produce from this farm. There are various local vendors but not all operate on the same days.