It may be normal to experience changes in sleep patterns as we age, but if lack of sleep or poor sleep is affecting your life drastically, that’s not a normal part of aging. Many factors can lead to poor sleep patterns in older adults and understanding the root cause can help you resolve the problem that much easier.
Causes of Poor Sleep in Seniors
Below are some common causes of poor sleep experienced by older adults:
- Diabetes and/ or Prostrate Issues: Because you are wakened several times during the night to urinate, this can disrupt your sleep cycle unnecessarily.
- Sleep Apnea: If you have sleep apnea, you will experience trouble breathing while you are asleep. This results in loud gasping or snoring that occurs throughout the night, which can wake you up. Even if it doesn’t wake you up, there’s a danger you could stop breathing while sleeping.
- Stress and Anxiety: Are you experiencing high levels of stress and anxiety for any reason? Maybe you feel socially isolated while aging in place or are experiencing feelings of depression. As and when these feelings arise, it’s important to seek medical help and consider a change in lifestyle if necessary, such as moving into a senior living community.
Best Practices for Getting Better Sleep
Having trouble falling or staying asleep can impact your overall health in the long run. Follow the below best practices to get a better night’s sleep:
- Get out and go to bed at the same time every day, including on weekends.
- If you find yourself unable to sleep after 30 minutes in bed, get up and do something calming such as listening to music. Avoid mentally strenuous activities, and once you feel tired again, go back to sleep.
- Avoid taking naps longer than 20 minutes during the day.
- Drinks with caffeine and/or alcohol should not be consumed before bed.
- Create a calm and relaxing environment to lull your body into sleep. For instance, you may not wish to watch TV from bed, and having a consistent bedtime routine can help.
Poor sleep can also be caused by factors such as certain medications you are taking. Always speak to your doctor when in doubt – they can assess the cause of your insomnia and prescribe medications if necessary.
Make the Move to Discovery Commons At Bradenton Today
Are you considering making the move to an assisted living community where you can access the medical direction you need right onsite? If so, Discovery Commons At Bradenton is the right place to start your search. We are the top choice for many elderly in Bradenton, FL, and you can enjoy peace of mind that all your health & wellness needs will be seen to by our professional team. With every aspect of your wellbeing taken care of, you are free to customize the retirement lifestyle you wish to live, including socializing with neighbors, taking part in activities you enjoy, and simply sitting back and taking things slow.