As the largest organ of our bodies, it is important to care for aging skin. If you want to start to improve or maintain your skin health, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve gathered the few common aging skin woes and skincare tips that tackle those.
Why Caring for Aging Skin Is Important
Aging causes our skin to change in many ways. It becomes thinner, drier, and less supple over time. Bones become more apparent, and veins more visible. As a result, elderly skin gets scratched, cut, and injured more easily whether it is from accidents or being in the sun for too long. The worst part is that healing takes a longer period. This increased sensitivity just shows that knowing how to properly care for skin when it comes to mature adults is extremely important. It is important not just to look our best, but to feel our best as well.
Common Aging Skin Woes
Aging skin is prone to problems ranging from scaling, itching, and dryness to more grave conditions like ulcerations and infections. Here are the top common skin conditions in older adults:
- Wrinkles – This is the most common skin issue as it is the most visible sign of aging. Known as “laugh lines” or “worry lines”, these are also the first signs to show up when skin loses its elasticity and flexibility over time.
- Age spots and skin tags – You have to be careful about these because extended sun exposure can cause age spots and skin tags, which are brown spots and growths on the skin. They can also indicate skin cancer.
- Bruises – Older people tend to bruise more easily, and it can take a lot longer for the bruises to heal. Some medications and illnesses also cause bruising.
- Skin cancer – As one of the common types of cancer in America, its main cause is the sun. Tanning booths and sun lamps may also result in skin cancer.
If you have any skin issues that you’re worried about, we highly recommend you speak to a doctor to get them checked out.
Skincare Tips for Aging Skin
Proper skin care for mature adults should be treated as the top priority. Here are a few tips that can benefit you when caring for mature skin:
- Cleanse gently – Pick a cleansing foam that removes the layer of oil and dirt from your skin without stripping away its moisture.
- Don’t skimp on moisturizer – While a fragrance-free one is excellent for those with sensitive skin, apply any type of cream or serums that work for you onto your skin under three minutes from when you get out of the shower or wash your face. This helps to lock the moisture in better.
- Never go out without sunscreen – It is never too late to start using sunscreen all over your exposed body parts whenever you leave the house, including your lips!
Why Choose Discovery Commons At Bradenton?
Our community boasts high-quality, exclusive programs, services, and amenities within proximity to apartments for residents to have endless opportunities for fun right at their doorstep. At Discovery Commons at Bradenton, our warm and welcoming team as well as your neighbors are sure to make you feel right at home.
If you have any inquiries about our range of services, feel free to contact us today.