To help keep your immune system strong – which is particularly crucial for older adults – you need to feed your body the right foods. If you’re trying to prevent the flu, colds, and various infections, you may start thinking about taking supplements, getting vaccines, and more. While those are all good ideas, you can start simply and conveniently by grocery shopping appropriately.
Certain foods can be referred to as “immune system boosters”. They are powerful in that they have the capability, when consumed in appropriate amounts, to kick the human body’s immune system up a notch – thereby increasing resistance to certain infections or conditions. Here’s how to eat the most appropriate foods to boost immune systems in older adults.
The Right Foods for a Healthier Immune System
By eating the correct amount of the following foods, you can assist your immune system in keeping your mind and body as healthy as possible:
- Shellfish (muscles, lobster, crab, oysters, etc.) are high in zinc.
- Poultry can help form healthy, new red blood cells and is high in vitamin B6.
- Kiwi contains essential nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium, and folate.
- Papaya contains folate, magnesium, potassium, and a lot of vitamin C.
- Black teas and green teas have an antioxidant referred to as flavonoids.
- Turmeric can help treat both rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis with its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Sunflower seeds have vitamin E, B6, magnesium, and phosphorus. Dark leafy greens and avocados also have a lot of vitamin E.
- Almonds, thanks to vitamins C and E, can help fight off colds.
- Yogurts that contain the line “active and live cultures” help fight diseases by stimulating your immune system – go for Greek yogurt.
- Spinach contains beta-carotene, numerous antioxidants, and vitamin C.
- Ginger may help with nausea and also helps lessen inflammation.
- Garlic may slow artery hardening and it helps fight infections.
- Broccoli, much like spinach, should never be overcooked. When prepared properly, it has fiber, and vitamins E, C, and A.
- Red bell peppers, more than any other vegetable or fruit, have the most vitamin C per ounce.
- Citrus fruits including limes, lemons, tangerines, clementines, oranges, and grapefruit have tons of vitamin C.
No Food Is Foolproof
Though the right foods will help your immune system do its job, there is no miracle food to prevent or cure disease. Do your best to steer clear of people whom you know may be infected with a virus, and eat nutritious foods. Get the rest you need, and exercise as much as your body allows. This is the best way to stay healthy for as long as possible.
Boost Your Loved One’s Immunity with Healthy Meals from Discovery Commons Cypress Point
Discovery Commons Cypress Point in Fort Myers, Florida, is proud to present Sensations Dining, where a wide range of mouthwatering meal options are offered by our culinary trained staff. Our professional chefs use fresh ingredients to whip up three nutritious and delicious meals a day. Through our dining program, our residents will be able to enjoy international cuisines, local specialties, comforting favorites, traditional flavors, or even submit any special food requests.
Of course, exclusive dining experiences are just the beginning because you will be able to mingle with friends and enjoy these scrumptious foods together. The company and enjoyment you experience at mealtime will provide socialization opportunities and reduce any possible tedium of the day. Experience what it’s like to live out your golden years in convenience and comfort at Discovery Commons Cypress Point. Discover a lifestyle that is both rich and rewarding and, best of all, distinctly yours! Call us at 239-232-3220 for sales and leasing inquiries. Better yet, schedule a tour to see our beautiful grounds for yourself.