North Port, FL is a Newfound Senior-Friendly Hotspot for Enjoying Nature, the Arts & Outdoor Recreation
Sure, it might fly a bit under the radar, but not for long. Those in the know will agree that North Port is an up-and-coming city with a dynamic all its own. Suburban amenities are plentiful with city and neighborhood parks, shopping plazas and dining destinations dotting US-41 and the other, major roadways.
Delve a little deeper into the city’s offerings, however, and there’s much more to discover. Beautiful, natural springs, a rich archeological history, and diverse outdoor adventures are all waiting to be sampled and enjoyed year-round, making this a fine place to live and call home.
From Discovery Commons’ central location, it’s only minutes to local banks, grocery and big-box stores, and even Port Charlotte Town Center, with its 100+ stores and varied dining options. For relaxation, visit Warm Mineral Springs, whose rumored healing properties attract over 100,000 visitors annually, with many coming from all over the world to take the plunge in Florida’s only natural warm spring.
Art and theater buffs love North Port for its robust culture, which includes the North Port Art Center and its gallery and educational offerings. Plus, this area comes alive each winter and spring when MLB’s best descends upon Florida for Spring Training. The Atlanta Braves’ brand-new winter home is (almost) close enough to hear the crack of the bats, while the Tampa Bay Rays take the field each Spring at nearby Charlotte Sports Park.
Want to tap into some outdoor fun and excitement of your own? There’s nothing like boating and fishing the city’s more than 80 miles of freshwater canals, Myakka River and nearby Charlotte Harbor, a legendary spot for tarpon, kingfish and other, coveted catches. This being Florida, let’s not forget the dozen or more, pristine Gulf beaches that are all within easy driving distance of our community!
Our native North Port offers experiences for everyone, and with complimentary transportation, an active social calendar and plenty of bus trips and excursions to local events and attractions, Discovery Commons will help ensure that you or your loved one can live well and enjoy all that this vast area has to offer.
Senior-Friendly Area Attractions near North Port, FL Include:
Arts & Entertainment
- North Port Performing Arts Center (3.7 miles)
- Venice Theater (14.8 miles)
- Charlotte Harbor Event Center (15.5 miles)
- North Port Public Library (0.8 miles)
- North Port Aquatic Center (4.6 miles)
- Morgan Family Community Center (4.6 miles)
- George Mullen Activity Center (5.4 miles)
- CoolToday Park (Atlanta Braves) (6.3 miles)
- Charlotte County Fairgrounds (6.6 miles)
Shopping & Dining
- Save A Lot (1.2 miles)
- Winn-Dixie (1.4 miles)
- North Port Commons (2.7 miles)
- Walmart Supercenter (2.8 miles)
- Cocoplum Village Shops (2.9 miles)
- Publix (3.0 miles)
- Myakka River Oyster Bar (3.3 miles)
- Walmart Neighborhood Market(5.2 miles)
- Snook Haven (9.2 miles)
- Fawcett Memorial (11.2 miles)
- Bayfront Health Port Charlotte (12 miles)
- Venice Regional Bayfront Health (14.1 miles)
Transportation & Public Transit