Our eyesight will slowly deteriorate as we age. Glaucoma is one of the most common ailments and can potentially lead to loss of eyesight if you are not careful. It is caused by increasing pressure in your eye and can distort your vision and affects many of our loved ones as they continue to age. Although there is no known cure for this medical condition, there are a few measures that you and your loved ones can take to protect their eyesight and prevent glaucoma from progressing too quickly.
5 Steps to Prevent Eyesight Deterioration
There are a several steps that have proven useful in the fight against glaucoma. Taking steps to help prevent glaucoma certainly beats inaction and starting early would certainly stay its onset, further helping your loved ones adapt better if, and when, the symptoms of glaucoma start showing.
- Get an eye protector. As our loved ones get on in years, eye injuries may sometimes occur. For this reason, it is important you need to have them wear an eye protector. Advise and encourage them to wear one when out on the streets, doing exercises or when taking part in different types of physical activities.
- Consult your loved ones’ medical practitioner on eye-drops. Taking prescribed eye-drops have been shown to help prevent glaucoma from progressing quickly. It is important to note that if prescribed, they would need to take them regularly.
- Maintaining a steady insulin level and blood pressure can be important in helping to prevent glaucoma. A rise in blood pressure can affect their eyes, causing a rise in eye pressure as well. One of the main causes of glaucoma is insulin resistance and to prevent this, your loved ones would need to minimize consumption of grains and sugar. Instead, consuming a diet of mostly carbohydrates.
- Encourage them to be active. Regular exercise can help lower eye pressure but they should avoid doing exercises that require inverted positions, as it might increase pressure on their eyes. A simple hike or a light jog at the park is a good way to help prevent glaucoma.
- Visit their doctor regularly for check-ups. Scheduling a comprehensive eye examination is an excellent way to prevent glaucoma. It allows for early detection, which is very important as it is easier to treat in its early stages.
Why Choose Discovery Commons At Wildewood
Poor eyesight is particularly dangerous when your loved ones are home alone. It can lead to severe cuts and bruises and also slips and falls. This is why preventative measures are crucial. If you are worried about your loved ones having to stay alone at home, then why not consider letting them stay at a community home. Discovery Commons At Wildewood is the place to be. You can be sure that your loved ones are well cared for. We have many living programs on offer, with excellent amenities and daily activities. Our team members are always on hand to lend assistance and we are sure that your loved ones will feel right at home here with us. Schedule a tour now.