Modern technology may just be all it’s cracked up to be. Many of our residents in our independent senior living community at Discovery Commons At College Park have discovered numerous advantages to various modern innovations. The following are more excellent technologies that can help to improve the quality of life for senior citizens:
If you are going to use fancy gadgets, why not use amazing technology that can help you find ways to improve your health and motivate you to be aware of daily health? FitBit and Nike+ Fuelband are popular devices that you clip onto your clothing or wear on your wrist in order to track the number of steps you take, which can help you determine whether you are getting a proper amount of exercise. Depending on which model of FitBit that you buy, the device can also count the number of calories you eat and record your sleep quality. Incentives are built in, as FitBit allows you earn badges; and you can share and compare your progress with your friends. The Nike+ Fuelband has features comparable to what is offered in FitBit devices.
Health Tracking Software
There are many devices that can help you keep track of your health, and they are made for a wide variety of health conditions that require tracking. The following are just a few of the many kinds of health tracking software available today:
- AgaMatrix for people with diabetes monitors blood glucose levels and connects to iPod Touch and the iPhone, for easier health management.
- AliveCor, Inc. offers heart monitors that are prescribed to patients in order to record ECG rhythms as well as display, store, and transfer them. The information can be connected to mobile apps and instantly notify you if a serious heart condition is detected.
- Cardio is a touchless mobile app that you use on your smartphone. You simply hold the phone in front of you, and the app measures, tracks, and displays your heartbeat within seconds.
- Luminosity is a training program used by tens of millions of people, to sharpen their brains. With Luminosity, you can enhance your attention and memory skills with a personalized training program created just for you.
The most advanced type of cell phone today is the Smartphone, which comes in many styles and models. As the name implies, these phones really are impressive and smart, which you can only really understand once you’ve had one and made good use of it. Some of the features of a Smartphone that especially benefit seniors follow:
- Voice recognition system, which means you can use the phone using only voice commands.
- You can program the phones to have larger, easy-to-use buttons and large print, for easy reading.
- There are many thousands of apps available that you can download to your Smartphone and use for your own interests and purposes. For instance, you can set up your phone to remind you when it’s time to take medications.
- Smartphones have GPS systems, as mentioned in Part 1 of this series, and one of the benefits is instant access to directions.
- You can store emergency contact information in your Smartphone, which makes it easier for you when you are in an emergency situation and can also help people who may assist you to contact your loved ones.
- With a Smartphone, you can stay connected through social media, no matter where you are. These handy cell phones make it easy to send emails, post on Facebook, send text messages, and make calls. The Smartphone can even be used to make Internet dating connections; there are many senior dating sites that residents of Indiana retirement communities participate in.
- Sharing photographs is simple with Smartphones. You and your loved ones, including your grandchildren, can send photos or videos from wherever you are.
Home Assistive Devices
There are many assistive technologies that can help you to remain independent and stay safe in your home. The following are some of the many home assistive devices that you could enhance your life:
- Rinse-free cleansing washcloths and shampoo caps are available that provide needed comfort and help for individuals with limited mobility.
- Easy key turners are available that make it easier for seniors to use entry keys.
- Talking thermostats announce time, day, temperature setting, and room temperature.
- Toilet lifts or toilet seat raisers provide effective and unobtrusive ways to toilet independently, and there are even tools that can make it easier for the elderly to wipe on the toilet.
- Pressure relief systems for the bed help to prevent and treat pressure ulcers, which seniors commonly suffer from.
- Appliances are available that automatically dispense medication at the proper times.
- For individuals with incontinence issues, many products are available which make it convenient to cope and protect furniture while maintaining dignity.
Aging has its challenges, and it’s wonderful that modern technology helps senior citizens to maintain health, inject more fun into life, and enjoy prolonged independence. Residents at Discovery Commons At College Park are able to enjoy our many senior living programs designed just for retirees, including many new technologies. Contact us online or give us a call at 317-961-7256 for more information.